The castor bean (Oleum ricini), also known as Palma Christi, due to its leaf shape and healing properties, is known principally as a cathartic (strong laxative). A gentler use is in the form of a pack placed over the abdomen, usually with heat applied. The oil is absorbed into the lymphatic circulation to provide a soothing, cleansing, and nutritive treatment, which stimulates immune function and tonifies internal organs.
The castor oil pack has many applications, and has been used in specific cases such as uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts that are non-malignant. Other conditions which respond well include: headaches, liver disorders, constipation, diarrhea, intestinal disorders, gallbladder inflammation or stones, lymphatic circulation problems, conditions with poor elimination, night time urinary frequency, inflamed joints and especially for general detoxification.
Extremely sensitive patients, such as those with multiple chemical sensitivities, may experience an increase in their symptoms at first. If this happens it is only temporary. The next time the pack is used reduce the length of time you do the castor oil pack (COP). If you have any health problems be certain to speak with a physician at A Natural Choice about the length of time you should use the COP.
It should not be used pregnancy unless recommended by your physician and avoid during menstruation if you have challenges with heavy bleeding. Most people can continue to use the castor oil pack during menstruation if heat is not used. Contact your physician for your specific situation.
Premier Research Castor oil (use this specific product because it is purity and bio-energetically tested and won’t allow any fat soluble toxins to be absorbed in through your abdomen during your treatment), white garbage bag (do not use Saran wrap it is toxic and do use any plastic that has ink on it), Organic Unbleached Cotton Flannel, hot water bottle or heating pad, old sheet, warm blanket, pillow, and baking soda. You will also need old clothes that you can wear during the treatment. The castor oil can leave oil marks on your clothing.
1. Cut a piece of the Organic Unbleached Cotton Flannel large enough to cover your entire abdomen after it has been folded over 2-3 times. It should cover from breast line to below your hip bones vertically and then to the front edge of your torso horizontally and be 2-3 layers thick. The thicker the cloth the stronger the treatment. Cut a white garbage bag so it is larger than the flannel by approximately one inch on all sides. Lay the flannel in the middle of the garbage bag.
2. Soak the flannel with the castor oil. The easiest way is to fold the flannel in half and then reopen it to lie on your abdomen. The first few times you use it, you will need to use a lot more oil until the flannel becomes more saturated. You will need to add oil each time you do the castor oil pack treatment.
3. Lay an old blanket, sheet, or towel out on the surface you will be lying on. This will prevent staining. Get your relaxation site ready.
4. Apply the flannel to your abdomen and cover it with plastic. Once the flannel is in place lie down and place the heating pad or hot water bottle on your abdomen. In spite of the electricity I prefer the heating pad because it keeps the oil hot the entire treatment time.
5. If you are sensitive, weak or very sick use the pack for only 20 minutes the first day and if fully tolerated, i.e. it didn’t cause any nausea, upset stomach or extreme fatigue, then each day increase the amount of time you use the pack by 10 minutes day until you reach to full time period. Ideally you want to leave the pack on for 45-90 minutes. While you are resting it is an excellent time to practice visualization, prayer mediation or relaxation breathing. This involves placing 1 hand on your diaphragm and the other on your lower abdomen. As you breathe in, force your lower abdomen to swell like a balloon. With each breath out, practice relaxing your jaw and shoulders. As you practice more, relax all muscles in your body. Alternatively to these you may just sleep. Some people will wear the pack all night using an ace bandage to hold it in place.
6. After finishing, you can leave the oil on your skin to be absorbed, or to remove the oil, wash with a solution of 2 tablespoons of baking soda to one quart of water.
7. Store the pack in a large zip-lock bag (which you may keep in the fridge). Reuse the pack 15 times adding more oil as needed to keep the pack saturated. After the 15 times or after the flannel starts to discolor throw the pack away and make a new one. Do not wash to flannel!
8. For maximum effectiveness, it is necessary to apply the pack as often as possible, preferably every day. Try for a minimum of at least 4 consecutive days per week. Patients who use the pack daily will receive the most beneficial effects.
The “Do Anywhere” Castor Oil Pack
1. Soak flannel in castor oil until saturated.
2. Apply to abdomen and put an opened plastic bag or piece of plastic wrap on top of the flannel.
3. Then wrap abdomen with an old towel so it overlaps at front.
4. Tie this comfortably tight by using 2 ace bandages, one around the ribs and the other around the waist,
to keep the pack close to the body.
5. Apply heating pad over this to maintain heat.
6. Wrap up in a robe/gown and read or relax for 45 minutes to an hour.
7. Store pack as previously described.
8. Use the pack as often as possible; daily is ideal.